Producing safe, high-quality, and nourishing food is the most important thing we do as a business. When it comes to food safety, we like to say that we aim every day to create non-events.
Smithfield and its independent operating companies (IOCs) work together to ensure livestock traceability and to provide the highest-quality meats and packaged foods to our customers. Our vertically integrated business model helps to support the safety and quality of our products through strict policies and careful management by dedicated food safety professions. Responsibility for food safety stretches across our company—from our corporate Food Safety Council to the employees within each of our facilities.
Our Food Safety & Quality Goals
- Deliver safe, high-quality meat products and eliminate recalls
- 100% compliance, 100% of the time
Our Food Safety & Quality Targets
- Obtain 100% Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) certification for all relevant* facilities
- Assure wide variety for different diets and needs and include products designed to address health and wellness in accordance with accepted standards
* “Relevant” facilities are those producing meat for human consumption.
We partner with industry, government, and independent experts to create and implement rigorous food safety and quality practices. We believe our systems lead the industry, and we work hard to adopt the most up-to-date, science-based procedures. In recent years, we have improved our food safety systems and processes to ensure best practices across all of our operations.
We provide information on nutrition, product characteristics, and safe food handling to consumers through our product labels, our Web site, and other outreach efforts. For information on food safety as it relates to animal health, please see the Animal Care section of this site.