|FISCAL 2012 SALES
Smithfield Foods’ international hog production division owns more than 200,000 sows in Mexico, Poland, and Romania through subsidiaries and joint ventures. They brought a combined total of 4.1 million hogs to market in fiscal 2012. The Mexican operations consist of 50 percent stakes in Granjas Carroll de México and Norson, a vertically integrated hog producer and meat processor. Agri Plus is one of Poland’s largest hog producers and provides a substantial portion of its hogs to Smithfield’s Animex meat processing subsidiary. Smithfield Ferme produces hogs in Romania principally for pork processor Smithfield Prod.
Poznan, Poland Hogs Produced in Fiscal 2012:
1.46 million www.agriplus.pl
- Supported local communities by donating more than $25,000 to schools for food and supplies and to support local emergency services.
- Sponsored education and sports programs for children in many rural areas where the company operates.
- Participated in World Water Monitoring Challenge events in Zachodniopomorskie and Pólnocnopomorskie.
Timisoara, Romania Hogs Produced in Fiscal 2012:
- Expanded the Green Campaign to multiple farms and introduced a pilot program at the Bacova village school to increase paper and plastic recycling rates.
- Sponsored “Millions of People, Millions of Trees” for the sixth year, with volunteers planting over 21,000 trees.
- Provided supplies to more than 12,000 students over the past five years through “Back to School” program.
Perote, Mexico Hogs Produced in Fiscal 2012:
1.13 million www.granjascarroll.mx
- Invested more than $179,000 to support medical staff development and health screening in local communities.
- Launched the Bandera Blanca program, providing all employees with health and wellness screenings to measure blood sugar, cholesterol, blood pressure, and general physical ability.
- Continued reforestation program stocked from a company-managed tree nursery.
Hermosillo, Mexico Hogs Produced in Fiscal 2012:
- Funded more than 300 scholarships through Academic Excellence program, helping prepare students for a university education.
- Donated more than three tons of pork in 2011 to surrounding communities, with a special focus on school systems and children in underprivileged areas.
- Maintained support of eight primary school systems in the Hermosillo area; provided schools with supplies and technology.