Robert W. Manly
|FISCAL 2012 SALES
1 Reflects intercompany sales.
The livestock production subsidiary of Smithfield Foods, Inc., Murphy-Brown LLC is the world’s largest producer of hogs. Murphy-Brown is committed to producing high-quality products while protecting the environment and preserving family farms. In the United States, the company owns approximately 851,000 sows and brought 15.8 million hogs to market in fiscal 2012. Operations include 460 company-owned farms and contractual business relationships with 2,100 family farms across 12 states. Its Smithfield Premium Genetics unit, based in Rose Hill, North Carolina, is responsible for improving swine genetics across the company’s production herd.
Colorado, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Virginia
- Operated approximately 460 company-owned farms in the United States without receiving a single environmental notice of violation in calendar 2011.
- Completed the installation in 2011 of next-generation technologies for manure management at Premium Standard Farms in Missouri. This will make it possible to reduce odor and reduce the potential for environmental impacts on the farms.
- Donated $50,000 in 2012 to upgrade the FFA camp facilities in White Lake, North Carolina. This camp serves thousands of young FFA members annually.
- Contributed $11,000 in 2012 to complete Project Eagle Flight in Sampson County, North Carolina. This Eagle Scout project will be a centrally located and properly equipped landing pad for emergency medical service and Life Flight helicopters.
- Cosponsored the 2012 National 4-H Livestock Judging Contest during the 39th annual North American International Livestock Expo in Louisville, Kentucky. Supporting this event provides meaningful learning opportunities for 4-H youth interested in livestock production.