|FISCAL 2012 SALES
1 Reflects intercompany sales.
Smithfield Foods entered the Romanian meat products market in 2004. Since then, our Smithfield Prod subsidiary has become the nation’s largest producer of fresh pork with a market share of approximately 30 percent. Smithfield Prod operates one of the most technologically advanced meat processing facilities in Europe, and its products are sold primarily to retail customers under the Comtim brand. Following a six-year ban on Romanian pork exports, in early 2012 Smithfield Prod became the country’s first pork processor to receive European Union approval to sell products to member countries.
- Donated approximately 60,000 pounds of food as part of “Food for Souls” initiative through local charities over the past three years in conjunction with Smithfield Foods’ other Romanian operations.
- Donated 10 tons—80,000 servings—of fresh and packaged meats in February 2012 with Smithfield’s other Romanian operations to citizens in the Vrancea region who were stranded in their communities due to dangerous winter conditions.
- Sponsored “Your world? A clean one!” program for the third year in 2011, educating the children of employees on environmental protection and waste recycling. This initiative also included environmentally oriented art and essay competitions.
- Helped promote the importance of a healthy lifestyle with employees participating in a marathon in Timisoara in 2011.
- Expanded the collection of the local school library in Utvin village through employee book donations as part of the campaign “Be the hero of the story! Offer a book.”